Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thundersnows, the Super Bowl, and The Others...

1.) Sunday. Super Bowl. Here in Central Illinois, we had a thundersnow.

That's right - thundersnow. You know, heavy snow falling, serious bolts of lightning flashing about and lighting up the sky, and that wonderful thunder, here to rattle your brains and terrify you (if you remember the formula that tells you just how close that bolt of lightning really is to frying you).

That was weird.


2.) The Super Bowl. I had some great chicken, good beer, ranch dip and great chips - and the Patriots got bent over a crate like Marcellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction. I heard that the boys in Vegas list 2.6 million over that game. Oh well.


3.) The Others. That was a sad little show that NBC tried out in the pre-Heroes era of 2000, when they had no idea that yes, there WERE people (outside of the fanboys/fangirls) who would watch a show about a geeky Japanese guy who was so damned and absolutely glad to have superpowers, and that he'd drag his boy along for the ride! (Still my favorite moment from the show; Ando is in the 'bad guys' van when they toss Hiro in - after he came back to save Ando by giving himself up. Ando looks over at him: 'You came back for me.' Hiro: 'This is how we roll.' The idea of having friends who've got your back like that, and they aren't buff, handsome, stereotypical hero-types... nice.)


Anyway, The Others was about a group of psychics. It was sad; naturally, I have all the epsodes broadcast on tape. There was one great episode -Till Then - and a reasonably scary one - Souls on Board. SOB haad an especially good teaser... something straight out of the really good - really scary earlier seasons of The X-Files (remember the ep with the school board members that were Satan-worshippers, and a demon in the form of a female teacher showed up to break off the Devil's foot in their collective flat heinies?). It was so spooky... and I swear that, for a moment (because I had forgotten what show was on) that I was actually surprised when the theme music for The Others began, instead of The X-Files theme. The scary part? At the beginning of the credits in the first act, James Morgen and Glen Wong were listed as producers... yep - you can tell a person's work from a light-year out.


I'll have to get the artillery to transfer that stuff over to DVD, and then, onto YouTube or one of the other video sites. The better episodes were the scary ones that didn't try to go BOO, but just told a story and kept going as you got scared and felt your bladder let go. Oh, yeah - and didn't try to push the all-TOO-obvious yes-we-ALL-know-its-gonna-happen romantic triangle between the cute and naive redhaired newcomer with the seriously high but as yet uncontrollable psi-powers, the handsome and empathic (in power and attitude) blond-haired hunk of a doctor, and the slinky-hot and oh-SO-bored-with-it-all blonde clairvoyant who has to try and be 'mysterious' (she goes by the name 'Satori', but her real name's Ellen Polaski)... did we?


Message to the staff of Heroes... granted, TV is a visual medium, and most superheroes are the handsome and attractive types (sigh), but remember what the guy said in Revenge of the Nerds 'I have a message for the beautiful people - there are more of us out here than there are of you.' A few more average people, and a few more average problems, too. (What you're doing with Micah and his female cousin - keep that up. By the way - thanks for getting rid of D.l. and Niki/Jessica/whatever, and giving Sylar back his power (gotta have a great villain to have great heroes) - did decades of Spider-Man teach us nothing?

Oh, yeah - CG - sorry, dude.


Again.


Random thought for the day - as soon as it gets warmer... I'm going to take a long, long walk.


Oh, and because it's the season, the guy I was kind of hoping to make a showing in the campaings for Prez:



















Dennis Kucinich. If he could convinich Elizabeth that she loved him and wanted to marry him... this is the guy I want in the White House. His BS skills are obviously up to cosmic levels.

2 comments:

Scissors MacGillicutty said...

I remember thundersnow when I was going to college in the Hudson Valley part of NY. Didn't happen often, but when it did, I thought it was pretty damn cool.

Re Kucinich: he'd be the only Dem I would have supported. Out of Iraq, real single payer health...of course, he had a snowball's chance in hell, and some of my more cynical (realistic?) leftoid third-party/no-party brethren think his function in the race is to sap support for independent candidates. I didn't know he had a hawt babe for a wife until recently, though.

One thing I don't go for with Kucinich is that he's a vegan. I like to eat meat, and I don't mind that animals have to die for my gustatory pleasure. I think I could stand watching my supper get slaughtered and dressed. Then again, I've always harbored a desire to pull the switch at an execution, even though I oppose the death penalty. "Very well, I contradict myself. I contain multitudes." And steak. :)

James said...

Mmmm....steak.

I've never seen a thundersnow, but there's the chance that I might see one when I get to sweet, sweet Toronto.

As for the primary, I voted for Kucinich. I might not have voted at all, were it not for my wife telling me that I had to vote. (She's much less cynical about the process.)