Monday, November 17, 2008

"D'ya fancy Billie Piper, sir?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A&feature=related

Catherine Tate and David Tennant (who, until this past May and a three-pack of Left Turn, The Stolen Earth and Journey's End, I only knew as barty Crouch, Jr.). Funny as hell.

I laughed so hard... yes, I'm finally becoming a fan of Doctor Who.

Back in 1995, I remember reading the 'Mondo Hollywood' issue of Details magazine, and there was agreat article about a filmmaker's first eyebrow-scorching experience of making a film - Lazarus, the story of a headless chicken who refuse to die. The line I remember from the article was when the guy said that if he could do something like that on a showstring budget, it could on;ly get easier with money. Doctor Who reverses that principle, because it's obvious that they don't have much money to spend.

Guess what? Hollywood should take a lesson from the BBC - because when you don't have money to waste on eye-candy special effects, you have to make up for it with actual acting skill and excellent writing.

In other words, the BBC has to be good at what they do... and they are.

A couple of months ago, I was awake at 3:50 in the morning - and where I live, the Sci-Fi Channel runs Doctor Who eps at 4 a.m. I learned a very important lesson that morning:


Don't watch the Doctor Who episode 'Blink' at four in the morning.


When you know what you're doing, you can scare the cowboy frak out of something with a few lights blinking, a few statues, and a hell of a script.

Here's a screenshot of the scariest moment (for me) in the episode:


See? THIS is what happens when you don't listen to the uber-cute little blonde who tells you NOT to take your eyes off the hyper-fast aliens who can only move when you aren't looking directly at them! I swear, I almost soiled every single item of clothing I had on when this happened...

It's a good show. I'll keep watching.

No comments: